Friday, September 19, 2008

Intersex People - The Missing Vagina Monologue

The Vagina Monologues is a hugely successful account of women's lives and advocates for gender equality. Eve Ensler the creator of the play went on to found V-Day an organization committed to ending violence against women.

The organization has made a tremendous impact on women's lives including lesbian and trans-women but has failed to accurately include Intersex people in their accounts.

Please politely contact V-Day and ask them to include Intersex people in their awareness campaigns. In addition please tell them that childhood genital mutilation of intersex babies is wrong and must be considered an unethical and violent choice by the medical establishment.

Contact V-Day!

In the meantime check out this clip from Gendervision.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I could do a search on this on line but I'd rather ask you.
What is intersex? What does it mean, how does affect the person?...I don't know anything about it. But I'll sure as shit draws flies write a letter of support.

Queers United said...

Ceara thanks for asking. I'd refer you to an entry I made a while back...

http://queersunited.blogspot.com/2008/04/diversity-lesson-101-intersexuality_1907.html

it has some basic info and links =)

Anonymous said...

Your post made me think of this:

http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/book/companion.asp?compID=98&id=13

Post a Comment