Sunday, August 24, 2008

Boycott Threatened over Association of American Law Schools Annual Meeting Location

UPDATE: The AALS has joined in boycotting the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel over its owners donation to anti same-sex marriage amendment in California. Thank you for joining Californians Against Hate & Queers United in demanding a change of location. The statement below was released on the AALS website.

"The AALS 2009 Annual Meeting will take place January 6-10, 2009, in San Diego, California. Several years ago the Association booked rooms at the San Diego Marriott and the Manchester Grand Hyatt. In the last few weeks there have been suggestions that the Association should boycott the Hyatt because its owner has contributed money to a ballot initiative designed to overturn the California Supreme Court's May decision in favor of same-sex marriage. In addressing this issue, the Executive Committee has sought to ensure that the Annual Meeting serves the needs of all participants to the maximum extent possible given our contractual obligations to the hotels.

Our contracts with the hotels provide that each hotel reserve a block of guest rooms, and leave to the AALS the choice of where to locate the AALS Registration, Exhibit Hall, Section Programs, Presidential Programs, and House of Representatives meetings. We will honor our contracts with both hotels, and we have exercised our option to hold all AALS events at the Marriott to ensure the maximum participation by our members."



The Association of American Law Schools is scheduled to hold their annual meeting Jan 6-10, 2009 in California at the San Diego Manchester Grand Hyatt. The hotel has been a site of controversy and protest because of the owner, Mr. Manchester's financial contribution to the anti-marriage amendment (proposition 8) in California. Gay rights backers in addition to dozens of legal organizations who were to be at the conference are threatening to boycott the conference if an alternative venue is not chosen.

Click and call below to urge AALS to use a different venue...

Email - aals@aals.org

Association of American Law Schools
1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Suite 800
Washington, D.C. 20036-2717
tel: 202/296-8851
fax: 202/296-8869

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Well, I bet that guy lost over half of his
bookings. I know that if I'm ever in Cali I
will NOT stay at a place that isn't gay
friendly.


HUGS!!!!!!!

shrink on the couch said...

This solidarity is great!! Ditto my intentions to boycott the Manchester Grand. I don't think I could afford it, but if I could, by golly ...

Laurie said...

Boycott away! I wish I could boycott him
too :( I do go out of my way NOT to talk
to people who have or do put GLBTs down or
that think they are wrong. So, I guess in
a way I am boycotting :D I boycott people
that hate people like me :D

HUGS!!!!!!!

Post a Comment