Friday, February 12, 2010

"UnMarriage Until Gay Marriage" in NYC's Central Park

Activist 'Reverend Billy' is holding a Valentine's Day unmarriage mass ritual to support marriage equality. The protest will include hundreds of couples who will suspend their wedding vows in a mass ritual and disavow the institution of marriage until it embraces same-sex couples.

The Reverend Billy will conduct a mass sermon and tragic and hopeful love songs will be sung. Participants will receive an official unmarried certificate.

Sunday, February 14th, 2010
1pm sharp
Bethesda Angel
Central Park, 72nd st
New York, NY

All are welcome gay, straight, single or partnered. Please email unmarriage4gaymarriage@gmail.com to sign up!

1 comment:

CrackerLilo said...

I hate this! I told one of the interns at my work so this week. Look, it's well-intentioned and sweet. However, I don't want people in mixed-gender relationships to forgo marriage on our account, just, you know, vote our way and be prepared to discuss the issue sometimes. I notice it's not actually a legal divorce. I still don't like it. It gives the impression that we *want* others to go without, that we want to punish!

Post a Comment